The Coalition Against Stalkerware was founded in November 2019 in response to the growing threat of stalkerware. Stalkerware is often used to facilitate partner surveillance, gender-based and domestic violence, harassment and sexual abuse. Within a year, the alliance has grown from ten founding partners into a large international working group.
The Coalition seeks to combine its partners’ expertise in domestic violence survivor support and perpetrator work, digital rights advocacy, and digital rights advocacy to address the criminal behavior perpetrated by stalkerware. All members commit to fighting domestic violence, stalking, and harassment by addressing the use of stalkerware and raising public awareness about this issue.
As the Coalition Against Stalkerware moves forward, it intends to:
- Define best practices in the debate surrounding stalkerware and other potentially unwanted technologies deployed without user consent
- Raise awareness and education of stalkerware through content and training
- Increase the technical capacity of advocacy and service organizations working with victims and survivors
- Facilitate learning about stalkerware and related threats by security professionals and companies as well as law enforcement
- Improve IT Security industry response to this issue by sharing samples of known stalkerware
- Create consensus-based detection criteria
The Coalition Against Stalkerware was founded in November 2019 by ten Founding Partners: Avira, Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), European Network for the Work with Perpetrators of Domestic Violence (WWP EN), G DATA Cyber Defense, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, National Network to End Domestic Violence (NNEDV), NortonLifeLock, Operation Safe Escape and WEISSER RING.
Since the Coalition’s inception, Martijn Grooten has actively served as a coordinator for the group. Adam Dodge, CEO of EndTAB.org, also serves as a Special Advisor. In addition, INTERPOL has announced its support for the Coalition and its activities in an effort to better raise awareness within the global law enforcement community about unwanted surveillance and intimate partner violence.
All Coalition Partners have contributed with their expertise and knowledge as well as helped to promote the Coalition Against Stalkerware at national and international level:
The Coalition Against Stalkerware launches new technical training
Fulfilling one of the Coalition’s founding missions, the C...Read more
Coalition Announces New Partners, Activities
Since the Coalition Against Stalkerware was launched less than t...Read more
Coalition Against Stalkerware launches new website
In the year and a half since the Coalition Against Stalkerware w...Read more